20 Bridle Court, Hillsborough

Active

6 Bedrooms | 5 Bathrooms | 2 Powder Rooms

6,510 Sq. Ft. Living Space |  28,560 Sq. Ft. Lot | Built 1931

Masterful Architecture | Award-Winning Schools

Noble English Country

Tobin Clark Estates

History, Family, Architects

Celia Tobin Clark, heiress to the Hibernia banking fortune, commissioned renowned architect David Adler to build her dream estate, on the nearly four hundred acres of land she owned. The property was inspired by English houses she had seen in the Costwolds on visits to England with her family  She wanted a house that “disappeared into the landscape”. David Adler delivered exactly what she wanted. The Tobin Clark Estate later named, by her son, “House-on-Hill” was built in many stages. First to be built, on the lower part of the estate, set back from the Eucalyptus treelined Alameda de las Pulgas, were a thirteen bay carriage house, servants cottage,  guest cottage, and stables. This is where the family lived while the main house was being built.

In 1941 Celia Clark sold seventy-two acres to family friend Dorothy Pratt Barrett which included House-on-Hill’s carriage house and stables, Dorothy Barrett then established her well-known horse breeding operation “Eucalyptus Hill”. Dorothy converted the guesthouse into her residence. This enclave is now known as Bridle Court.

In 1999, the owners of 20 Bridle Court, which consisted of the Servants Cottage and Garage, commissioned Farro Essalat, graduate of London University with a masters degree in architecture and a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects to marry the two buildings together as one.

Farro Essalat, a gifted architect and visionary sat on the lawns between the two structures sketching designs for a full day. When he finished his vision for 20 Bridle Court had emerged.

Paying tribute to David Adler’s original design and upholding the estate’s integrity, Essalat tastefully reimagined the home by adding 4,035 square feet of living space carrying through the original Cotswold-style Tudor architecture, dormer windows, leaving the original brickwork intact and reinforced and enhancing the historic beauty all while adding every desired modern-day lifestyle needs. 

What has emerged is a home filled with history, authentic architecture, style and taste. Perfect for today’s busy lifestyle and centrally located to San Francisco and Silcon Valley, close to downtown, schools and transportation. 20 Bridle Court is a true masterpiece.

About Hillsborough

Hillsborough will take your breath away. Fabulous homes on tree-lined streets evoke a timelessly elegant and private feel. The town covers six square miles, including picturesque hills and canyons, yet its 11,000 residents easily access commuter routes and downtown Burlingame, including Burlingame Avenue with its trendy shops and upscale dining.

Along with a storied history of exclusivity, blue-ribbon schools and a tight-knit community have earned the town its enviable reputation. The Hillsborough Recreation Department, Sawyer Camp Trail, Crystal Springs Golf Course, and cycling on Cañada Road offer residents quality activities and the ability to take in the stunning beauty of their neighborhood and surrounding area.

The historic banking heiress, Celia Tobin Clark’s estate property known as “House-on-the-Hill” includes modern-day 20 Bridle Court. Renowned architect, David Adler, built Clark’s Bridle Court compound, inspired by what she had seen in the English Countryside was comprised of a carriage house, guest house, servant’s quarters and horse stables, which serviced her main residence just up the road. 20 Bridle Court, once known as Clark’s servant’s quarters, was built by hand in 1931. In the height of the Great Depression, the estate’s construction provided jobs, helped stabilize and boost the County’s economy. Shortly after, in the 1940s, Dorothy Pratt Barrett bought the Bridle Court compound which later became known as “Eucalyptus Hill Farm”, Hillsborough’s last thoroughbred horse breeding ranch. The ranch converted and sold in the late 1950s and is known as Aragon High School, today. The premier Farro Essalat, trained and graduated from London University with a Masters Degree in Architecture, a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects and visionary, hand sketched 20 Bridle Court’s servant’s quarters for what would be the property’s most major restoration, renovation and expansion in 1999. While paying tribute to and upholding the estate’s classic design, Essalat tastefully reimagined the home by adding 4,035 square feet of living space carrying through the original Cotswold-style Tudor architecture, dormer windows, brickwork and historic beauty while adding every desired modern-day lifestyle needs. Casa Sola